Rhubarb is just coming into season, and I’m looking forward to eating the varied crumbles, like my Rhubarb and Blood Orange Crumble, and pies that this fruit that is really a vegetable (see Mackerel with Rhubarb) can be used for, I always end up with a glut. This year in preparation for that I found a good recipe for a rhubarb and vodka infusion that I’m going to have to try, although I’m not sure I can wait that long…
Makes 1 litre – Gluten Free*
- 1 litre vodka
- 4 rhubarb sticks (ripe red not green ones)
- ½ lemon, zest only
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Crush rhubarb with a mortar and pestle and place in a kilner jar with sugar and leave to macerate for two days.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon and zest and cover with vodka.
- Leave the jar in a cool dark place for 3 weeks, but shake daily.
- Filter through muslin, re-bottle and leave for 3 months before drinking.
Serve responsibly with tonic over ice or as a base to a Rhubarb-tini
*Gluten Free – Although I make every effort to ensure that the ingredients list are gluten free, you should double check at the time of using as manufactures change the base ingredients of their products frequently.