Over the weekend I caught a re-run of Nigel Slater’s ‘12 Tastes of Christmas‘ and although I find some of his recipes a little over egg and mixed up these little beauties looked wonderful and will be on my cookery list over the next few days.
- 180g/6¼oz caster sugar
- 180g/6¼oz butter, softened
- 2 free-range eggs
- 80g/2¾oz plain flour
- 150g/5oz ground almonds
- 100g/3½oz marzipan
- 100g/3½oz blueberries
- icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Cut out squares of baking parchment that would easily cover the holes of a bun tray. Line each one.
- Beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, then gradually introduce the flour and ground almonds. Continue to beat until all is well incorporated.
- Break the marzipan into small 1cm bite sized nuggets and fold into the mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the lined cups of the bun tray. Scatter 3-4 berries over each one.
- Bake the cakes for 30 minutes, or until springy to the touch.
Dust with a little icing sugar and serve warm with a dash of cream. They are just as nice cold tho…