It’s the time of the year when family and friends pop round bearing Christmas cards and gifts and for those unexpected moments when unplanned vistors turn up, it’s always good t have something quick that you can prepare on the hop. This 10 to 15 minute wonder will have you passing round the festive cheer as quick as a flash.
Serves 6 – Gluten Free*
- 1 bottle red wine
- 60g demerara sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- a good grating of nutmeg
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 60ml Damson or Sloe gin (optional)
- Put the wine in a saucepan with the orange, sugar, bayleaf and the spices.
- Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Taste, if you want the wine sweeter, add some more sugar until it’s sweet enough for you.
- Take off the heatand stir in the sloe or damson gin if you are using it.
Strain into heatproof glasses and serve while hot.
You can experiment with the spices by changing them around or omitting them and add a sliced lemon too, but this is my favourite combination.
*Gluten Free - Although I make every effort to ensure that the ingredients list are gluten free, you should double check at the time of using as products change their base ingredients frequently.