Was looking through my old recipe scrap book and I found an old ‘easy one pot’ favourite. This is a recipe that last had back in 2006, before point that I used to have it regularly but must have just plain forgotten about it.
Now it’s been found, I must have it again. Served with a hunk of good bread it’s one of my comfort food fav’s
Serves 2-3 – Gluten Free*
- 2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 6 Pork Sausages (I use Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Sicilian Style Sausages as they have a good garlicky fennel flavour that works well with the lentils, and they’re Gluten Free too!)
- 1 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 150g Puy Lentils (can use everyday brown or green lentils too!)
- 600ml hot chicken stock
- 1 large tomato roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil and cook sausages until golden.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 mins
- Add the lentils, stock and chopped tomato.
- Bring to the boil then cover and simmer gently for 40-45 mins until the lentils are tender and the stock is almost all absorbed
- Stir in the Balsamic vinegar and parsley
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a good sized chunk of bread, like my Irish Soda Bread (or a Gluten Free alternative) and enjoy a bowl of warming hearty comfort food.
*Gluten Free - Although I make every effort to ensure that the ingredients list are gluten free, you should double check at the time of using as products change their base ingredients frequently.