Savoy Cabbage is in season and I’m always on the look out for different ways to cook it, rather than the standard boiled or steamed then buttered.
This recipe elevates the green and humble cabbage to new heights by mixing it with wine, pancetta and crème fraîche and is very easy to boot!
Serves 4-6 – Gluten Free*
- 1 Savoy cabbage, cored and shredded
- 125g Pancetta, cubed
- 55g butter
- 85ml dry white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pan.
- Add the pancetta and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and mix all together.
- Add the wine and season well.
- Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- Stir in the fennel seeds, parsley and crème fraîche.
If you can’t get hold of pancetta, then smoked streaky bacon can be substituted Just make sure you de-rind it beforehand, otherwise it’ll be as tough old boot soles.
*Gluten Free - Although I make every effort to ensure that the ingredients list are gluten free, you should double check at the time of using as products change their base ingredients frequently.