I have a habit of picking up supermarket recipe index cards for any recipe that catches my eye, this is one from Waitrose back in August 2005.
Even though its over 7 years old the recipe is still as fashionable and current as ever. combination of orange juice and sherry gives this colourful dish a lovely delicate flavour
For the chicken
- 2 medium oranges
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper (use a gluten free alternative like Doves Farm Gluten Free Plain White Flour, for a Gluten Free Version of the recipe)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 shallots , peeled and left whole
- 180g sweet romano peppers , deseeded and cut into strips
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar (I have it on good advice that sherry vinegar is gluten free, but you should double check that your ingredient is)
- 300ml medium dry sherry, like an Amontilliado
- 1 bay leaves
- 4 chicken breast fillets
For the saffron rice
- ½ tsp saffron stems
- 375g American long grain rice
Serves 4 – Gluten Free*
- Finely grate the zest of 1 of the oranges then juice both to produce about 175ml juice and set aside.
- Place the seasoned flour in a large, plastic food bag, add the chicken and shake to coat lightly.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan with a lid.
- Add the chicken fillets and saute for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Add the shallots and pepper strips, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Pour in the vinegar and cook for 1 minute, then add the remaining ingredients, including the orange zest and juice.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and continue to simmer for 15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, place the saffron in a small bowl and soak with 2 tablespoons of boiling water.
- Place the rice in a medium pan and pour over 750ml boiling water.
- Add the saffron liquid and simmer for 15 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
Serve the chicken and rice with steamed fine green beans and a glass of chilled Rioja Blanco
*Gluten Free - Although I make every effort to ensure that the ingredients list are gluten free, you should double check at the time of using as products change their base ingredients frequently.