Roast beetroot makes a great addition to any traditional roast, the deep vibrant red contrasts with the green of Brussels Sprouts or Savoy cabbage.
This recipe works brilliantly with the tradition round red beet, but for surprising change you can mix with other varieties like the Golden or the ‘Barbabietola Di Chioggia’ with it’s distinctive white and red rings. All add a virant cahange of colour to any meal
Serves 6 – Gluten Free*
- 670g large uncooked beetroot
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar (I have it on good advice that Balsamic vinegar is gluten free but you may want to verify this for yourself before using)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Peel and cut each beetroot into 4-6 wedges and arrange in a large roasting tin.
- Mix the oil thyme and vinegar and pour over the beetroot.
- Season well, and toss together so all the beetroot is thoroughly coated in the dressing.
- Roast for 1 hour or until the beetroot is tender.
Serve and enjoy….
For a sweeter smokier taste glaze with 2 tbsp of clear honey or maple syrup half way through the roasting time.
*Gluten Free - Although I make every effort to ensure that the ingredients list are gluten free, you should double check at the time of using as products change their base ingredients frequently.