The Brussels Sprout season is upon us again and I love these tiny tender green globes, steamed, boiled (as long as they aren’t boiled into oblivion) or broken down and sautéed in butter. This is by far my favourite recipe though, and it’s great on the side of any winter roast and special enough for your Christmas extravaganza.
If and that’s a big ‘IF’ you have any left over just add them to some cold potatoes and sautée for that delicious English leftover favourite ‘Bubble and Squeak’!
Serves 4-6 Gluten Free
- 500g Brussels Sprouts, trimmed but left whole
- 120g thinly sliced Pancetta
- 1tbsp light brown sugar
- 2tbsp Marsala
- 240g cooked sweet chestnuts
Serves 4 Gluten Free
- Steam the sprouts for 5-6 mins, depending on their size, until they are tender.
- Once cooked drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Heat a large non stick frying pan over a medium heat and lay the pancetta over the base.
- As the pancetta begins to melt and turn golden underneath scatter with the sugar.
- Turn the rashers and cook until burnished and crisp.
- Remove the pancetta from the pan and replace with the sprouts and chestnusts, stir thoroughly and add the Marsala, allowing to sizzle and steam off the alcohol.
- Season with black pepper and return the pancetta for a a few moments to heat through.
Serve in to a warm dish and enjoy…
This recipe works wonderfully as an accompaniment for a Sunday roast or the ‘Two Fat Ladies’ Roast Goose for Christmas.