A winter Sunday favourite, as the celeriac roasts it absorbs some of the raisiny flavour of the marsala (but not the alcohol, which just burns off), while caramelising to a golden, sticky brownness.
Try this, I’m sure you’ll love it!
- 1 medium-large celeriac, peeled and cut into eight wedges
- Sunflower oil, to coat
- A knob of butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp sweet Marsala
Serves 4 Gluten Free
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the celeriac wedges into a large bowl, drizzle with a little oil and stir to coat them.
- Smear the butter thickly around an ovenproof dish, just large enough to take the celeriac wedges lying down flat.
- Lay the celeriac in the dish, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pour over the marsala.
- Pop into the oven and roast for about 45 minutes to an hour, turning the wedges and basting every now and then, until richly browned all over and very tender. You may need to add a little water towards the end of the cooking time to prevent burning.
Serve warm, works wonderfully as an accompaniment for a Sunday roast or the ‘Two Fat Ladies’ Roast Goose for Christmas