I first saw this recipe in a television advert for Sainsburys many years ago, it had a voice over by John Nettles back when he was in ‘Bergerac’. I suspect Jamie Oliver was still in school at the time!
Anyway, I’ve kept it as true to the original as possible, with only the addition of meatballs made from sausages. Leave them out for a vegetarian version and use Gluten Free Penne Pasta for a Gluten Free version (just cook the pasta fully before adding to the sauce and baking.
- 2 Pack Mozzarella, cubed
- 400g Fresh Italian style sausages, skinned and rolled into small meatballs (you should be able to get 2 per sausage)
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 X 400g tin of Peeled Plum tomotoes
- 150g Parmesan grated
- 2 tbls Tomato Puree
- 1 tbls Olive Oil
- 300g Penne Pasta
- 1/2 tsps Mixed (or Italian) Herbs
- Pre-heat oven to 200C(180c Fan Oven)
- Cook pasta in boiling water.
- Heat pan and add oil and fry sausage balls until the are browned, add the garlic and fry for a moment or two being careful not to let it burn (or it’ll become bitter)
- Add tomatoes, herbs, puree, half Mozzarella, parmesan to the meatballs in the frying pan.
- Bring tomato mixture to the boil and simmer on a low gas until pasta cooked.
- Drain Pasta and put into oven proof dish, pour over tomato sauce and stir.
- Sprinkle over rest of Mozzarella and a touch more Parmesan
- Bake in oven for 10 Min or until cheese has melted and is golden
For a Spanish take on this recipe replace the sausage meatballs with 150g roughly chopped Chorizo, it’s smoky paprika flavour works well with in the tomato sauce too….