This is a gloriously golden and rich soup, Just the ticket for today, which has been a grey, wet and windy Sunday in November.
Serves 4 and it’s Gluten Free too!
- 3 tablespoons of Butter
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (about 3 leaves)
- 200g thin pancetta slices, roughly chopped
- 2 medium Butternut Squash ( should be 1 to 1.5 kg), peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons of Sherry
- 1/8 th teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 litre of Chicken Stock (Use Gluten Free Stock for a Gluten Free soup)
- 150 ml Double Cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Heat a the butter and olive oil in a large pan and lightly sauté the onion, garlic and sageuntil softened.
- Add the diced Butternut Squaash and saute for a further 5 mins.
- Add the sherry and sizzle for a few seconds to cook out the alcohol.
- Pour in the stock and Cayenne and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 25 minutes until the the Butternet squash is tender.
- Fry the panchetta until it’s crispy and pop on a piece of kitchen towel to drain off the fat.
- Biltz the soup until it’s smooth, I used my hand blender, you can use a food processor but I’d let it cool a bit first.
- Stir in the cream and check for seasoning
- Serve the soup in bowls, sprinkle over some crispy panchetta and eat…
Eat with crusty bread (like my Irish Soda Bread), it’s perfect comfort food for a blustery day.