This is my favourite Cocktail, it’s a strong one so don’t plan on drinking too many, otherwise plan a day in bed the following day..
The drink was invented and named by fictional secret agent James Bond in Casino Royale.
“A dry martini,” [Bond] said. “One. In a deep champagne goblet.”
“Just a moment. Three measures of Gordon’s, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it’s ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel. Got it?”
“Certainly, monsieur.” The barman seemed pleased with the idea.
“Gosh, that’s certainly a drink,” said Leiter.
Bond laughed. “When I’m…er…concentrating,” he explained, “I never have more than one drink before dinner. But I do like that one to be large and very strong and very cold and very well-made. I hate small portions of anything, particularly when they taste bad. This drink’s my own invention. I’m going to patent it when I can think of a good name.”
Ian Fleming, Casino Royale
- 3 measures (75 ml) 90% Proof Dry Gin
- 1 measure (25 ml) 100% Proof Vodka (normally branded as Blue)
- 1/2 measure (12.5ml) Lillet Blanc (Kina brand was reformulated in the 1980’s, to remove the Quinine and other bitter flavours. Lillet Blanc is the nearest substitute, although it’s a bit sweeter)
- 1 thin slice of lemon zest
- Shake over ice until well chilled
- Strain into a deep Martini glass
- Garnish with the Lemon Zest
- Drink (responsibly)…….
Wear your best Dress Suit and Black Tie to complete the ‘James Bond’ experience…..
My name? Bond, James Bond!