On a trip to the local supermarket I noticed a basket of limes, all reduced to 10 pence. The idea of a lime infused vodka came instantly to mind. What’s more this recipe only uses the zest, so I used the pulp to make a Lime Granita too, double bubble!
This flavoured vodka is great for mixing with Coke.
- 1 bottle of vodka
- 7 Limes
- Wash the limes under warm water, to get rid of any wax coating
- Removed the lime zest, (making sure that you don’t get any of the pith as it will make the taste bitter). This can be done with a zester or with a knife if you use a knife shred the bigger pieces of lime to increase the surface area.
- Put the lime zest into a sterile bottle or Kilner jar
- pour over the vodka and store in a dark, cool place for 2 to 3 weeks, shaking frequently.
- Strain vodka through muslin or a coffee filter and bottle into a clean bottle.
The lime zest will lose it’s vivid green colour and the vodka will take on a pale green hue